The unpredictable demand and supply has left many IT managers looking for new, better ways to manage their resources. While previous IT strategies focused primarily on managing growth, today’s IT organizations now are seeking methods to expand the number of applications and services available to support the business while cutting costs at the same time. In the current economy IT is increasingly being asked to do more with less.
From a server perspective, the rise and fall of IT has instigated several shifts in resource management. First, most IT organizations are looking to make better use of existing assets by consolidating underutilized server. Secondly, IT organizations are re-thinking on “over-provisioning” approach, as this is viewed as wasteful and inefficient, Lastly, many IT organizations use “virtualization” to dynamically allocate capacity to fit the specific needs of applications and services.
BenchTech Software in association with TeamQuest offers Capacity Planning services that help companies re-purpose underutilized capacity, implement structured methods for provisioning servers, and prepare their IT environments for virtualization. We also offers the ability to model the server environment, testing a variety of “what if” scenarios against proposed server configurations to determine the most efficient use of capacity and server resources. This is done by using TeamQuest Predictor.
TeamQuest Predictor enables IT organizations to benchmark the exact workload that a server and storage handles over time, then project trends in traffic that the server might need to handle in the future. This data, in turn, enables the IT organization to determine the exact server and storage requirements for a particular situation, ensuring that the server environment will have enough capacity at all times.
Here are some benefits of Capacity Planning:
- Helps find cost-effective configurations that maximize business productivity.
- Allows accurate provisioning of systems to avoid costly and time-consuming performance bottlenecks.
- Finds optimal configurations for new application rollouts, by ensuring production systems will handle new workloads at minimal cost.
- Provides unbiased, vendor-neutral guidance, showing what is really needed as opposed to what vendor says is needed.
- Reduces or eliminates over-provisioning, by identifying the least expensive way to accommodate service level requirements.
- Aids virtualization & server consolidation decisions, helping find the most cost-effective combination and configuration of resources.